12/21/2015 / Mon
HSO James A. F. Giammona
Command: Anna Ialeggio
Long Range Exploration
Crew 159 did its longest EVA yet today as Crew Journalist Anna Ialeggio and Commander Chiara Cocchiara headed east of the Hab on ATVs. Crew 159 was then joined by a videographer who was shooting footage of the Hab. HSO James Giammona surveyed the Hab for his Mid-Mission Safety Report.
Morning briefings focused on
1. EVA6 agenda
2. Crew Reports
Mission planning for the day
1. 0800 – Breakfast/ Plan for the day
2. 0905 – Crew Journalist Anna Ialeggio laid out the plan for EVA6. Ialeggio and Commander Chiara Cocchiara would take the ATVs to the east of the Hab. Goals include evaluating the new EVA suit while riding the ATV, mapping out the range of the Habcom walkie-talkie, and practicing geomorphological identification.
3. 1000/1200 - Crew Journalist Anna Ialeggio leads EVA6.
4. 1200 – Videographer arrives at the Hab.
5. 1200/1230 – Lunchtime
A spicy lunch of macaroni and jalapenos was prepared by HSO James Giammona.
6. 1230/1300 Debrief led by Crew Journalist Anna Ialeggio. Ialeggio and Cocchiara agree that today’s EVA was stunning and using the ATVs greatly expanded the terrain that could be explored. Ialeggio commented that the normal EVA suit was uncomfortable when riding the ATV while Cocchiara mentioned that the new EVA suit was better suited to her riding the ATV.
7. 1300/1800 – Crew works on writing reports and a proposal for using the 3D printer. HSO James Giammona conducts a full safety survey of the Hab and writes the Mid-Mission HSO Report.
8. 1540 – Commander Chiara Cocchiara hands command over to Astroengineer Barak Stoltz. Crew Journalist Anna Ialeggio is promoted to XO.
9. 1800/1845 – Dinner time and social time. Crew plans to monitor the return to flight launch of SpaceX at 1830.
10. 1900/2100 – CAPCOM time window
11. 2130/2230 Personal leisure time
12. 2300/0200 Astroengineer Barak Stoltz will work on calibrating the telescope and enabling remote operation.
Mission planning for the week
1. Crew will implement a rotating commandership where each crew member is commander for two days.
2. HSO James Giammona will work on contacting the ISS. His Yagi antenna and tripod are ready for deployment and he now has all the connectors he needs. ISS Finder says that Tuesday, Wed, Thursday, and Saturday around 1800 are when the ISS will fly over the Hab.
3. Crew members plan to work on the 3d printer if the proposal is approved and also on other personal projects.
Mission planning for the remaining time of the mission
1. On Friday, commander will submit final report by 5pm.
2. Crew 159 will help Crew 160 travel from Grand Junction and assist in assembling their supplies.
SOL ACTIVITY SUMMARY:
1. A highly successful EVA today for EVA6. Crew Journalist Anna Ialeggio and Commander Chiara Cocchiara took the ATVs to the east of the Hab. Goals include evaluating the new EVA suit while riding the ATV, mapping out the range of the Habcom walkie-talkie, and practicing geomorphological identification.
2. Crew welcomed the videographer during the day
3. HSO James Giammona conducted the health and safety survey for the Mid-Mission report.
4. HSO James Giammona set up his Yagi antenna, tripod and radio for use tomorrow contacting the ISS.
Look Ahead Plan:
1. How are you going to follow up?
1. Crew will submit proposal to use 3D printer and has several projects in mind if approved.
2. EVA7 will plan to replicate the success of EVA6 with the two crew members that remained in the Hab today.
2. What is the plan for tomorrow?
1. Tomorrow, EVA7 will also travel eastward on the ATVs so that the other two crew members of Crew 159, Commander Barak Stoltz and HSO James Giammona can experience exploring on ATVs while on EVA.
2. HSO James Giammona will attempt to contact the ISS during flyover.
Anomalies and any problems in work:
Weather: Partly overcast day. Intermittent windy gusts. 30-45 degrees F.
EVA: where did you go?
After engineering check, EVA6 headed east on the ATVs along the main road for about an hour. After some exploring on foot, they returned the same way.
Daily Summary Report
HSO Mid-Mission Report